Tuesday 1 January 2008

#70 Ride a snowmobile

Status: On ice

After various flight/luggage/visa dramas, I made it to Canada safe and sound.

Within two days, courtesy of some friends of Jackie's mother, I was careening about on a frozen lake on a snowmobile. Looks like I know what I'm doing, huh?

I was initially taken for a ride as a passenger, when the snowmobile broke down a couple of hundred metres from our base. After walking back (snow is surprisingly arduous to walk through, despite the fact I've probably said the same thing about grass or, er, carpet), we set off again, with much better luck. And soon enough, against all odds and licencing laws, I was off on my own.

Zooming along at 40 miles per hour, in -15°C temperature (-32°C with wind chill), wearing every single item of clothing I own, I somehow managed to survive! Who'da thunk it?

11 comments:

  1. you made it matt!!! well done and congrats on mastering the snowmobile...it looks so fun! but you have managed to scare the crap out of me with the temperature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOD! I've always wanted to take a ride on a snowmobile...dunno why I didn't think about putting it on my list. I feel a sense of gratitude my Sir Matt for giving me this idea. I'll be a spectator of your adventures as you finish your list. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While it is very impressive i have to say

    SHAM ITEM :P:P:P

    only because i'm sure you only just added it :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jealous. Your mention of the temperature makes me want to go to Canada, although could you heat it up just by a few degrees please? thats the type of wind chill that makes your legs go numb on the half an hour walk home from the bar at 3am . . .


    Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it so wasn't -32! That was a blatant exaggeration, people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahahah i loved the last comment. i would've blatantly exaggerated as well matt, don't worry.

    hope you're having a "cool" time. oh goodness so lame, i'm bored at work, what can i say?!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoo! Good work Matt. So now that you've completed that item, you're coming home right? RIGHT?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love that you said 'thunk'.

    annnnnnnd i miss you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jackelyn West would like to retract her previous statement on account of her not being present at the time.

    It was so -32°C! I lost two fingers and three good men out there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well of course I wasn't there! What kind of nut-job would go out in -32 degree weather??

    ReplyDelete
  11. i think i believe jackie only because it is her home town... and i'm sure it was just a normal summers day in good ol canadia

    ReplyDelete