Wednesday 27 February 2008

#35 Complete 10 random acts of kindness

Status: Exceedingly helpful

On my ultimately (partly) disappointing trip to Calgary (I didn't get the job, for those of you left in suspense by my previous post), I did get to take the exceptionally classy Red Arrow bus there and back (all expenses paid).

I've been in airplanes that were less comfortable than this bus-cum-limousine; leather seats, free drinks and snacks, wireless Internet (I know I don't have a laptop, but I could at least check out the pretentious PowerPoint slideshow being crafted by the toffee-nosed businessman sitting in front of me).

Anyway, the little old lady beside me fetched herself a bottled water from the galley, before coming back and explaining to me that she broke her wrist last year and was straining to open it. Word of my superhero-like desire to help those around me must have reached this poor, defenceless woman, for she asked me to open it for her.

This task marks the halfway point in this challenge, and, having settled into Canada, where everyone seems to be so friendly it's borderline pushy (in a good way), I've decided to up the ante for the remaining five tasks. Case in point: the other day, a lady held the door open for me. "Fine," I hear you say. But I was about 20 metres away! I could have entered a number of doorways before reaching her. Don't Canadians know anything about polite distances?

1 comment:

  1. I have an idea....if someone looks even the slightest bit puzzled, walk up to them and ask if you can help. Remember Vancouver? Surely that's the way Canadians (other than me, because I know that I can never help) get through these tasks.

    And I want to put an under 50 rule on the last 5 recipients of your kindness!

    ReplyDelete