Saturday 7 June 2008

#68 Buy a laptop

Status: All Macced out

"I hate Macs. I have always hated Macs. I hate people who use Macs. I even hate people who don't use Macs but sometimes wish they did. Macs are glorified Fisher-Price activity centres for adults; computers for scaredy cats too nervous to learn how proper computers work; computers for people who earnestly believe in feng shui." — Charlie Brooker
The wonderful Charlie Brooker - who, I should point out, is right about everything - once brilliantly slammed Macs and Mac owners.  A year ago, I would have been completely on his side.  But for some reason, something changed.  Or, rather, I needed a change - I don't have the huge issues with PCs and Windows that some people have, but I just felt like something different.

So, a few weeks ago, I found myself myself marching home from West Edmonton Mall with nearly $1,500 of MacBook under my arm. The laptop was a wise investment.  For instance, I'm making this blog post while sprawled out on the couch.  Imagine trying to do that with a desktop computer; hard drive propped up against the couch leg, monitor balanced precariously on one of the couch arms, mouse tucked somewhere down the back with the remote control... it'd be madness!  So a laptop has taken my laziness to uncharted heights. Hooray!

I'm still going through a few teething issues.  As Charlie Brooker wrote, losing a mouse button is like losing an arm.  I still feel that way.  It's a bit tricky to leave two fingers on the touchpad and then click in order to achieve the same function.  Two mouse buttons feels like evolution; one feels like amputation.

And was it only me that kind of enjoyed the little dog who gave you tips in Word?  Yes, the paperclip was pants, but someone else must have liked that doggie?  No?  Just me?  Oh.

Anyway, thrilled with the MacBook, but I wouldn't have been disappointed to have gone down the PC route.  After all, it's the same thing in a shiny new tin (pictured below).

5 comments:

  1. YES! Another one converted!

    (There you go, Bodie, I saved you the effort!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'pants'.....haha.

    what aussie says that?? welcome to the UK my love.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous19 June, 2008

    i already said that like weeks ago and in turn kins also was converted... and yes you are the only one to like that dog... shiny new tin? i think i should take ur mac away from you so you actually understand how great it is.... if u went pc you would have regret it by now... i don't recall mac users ever having to go back to a previous OS because the new one was shit...

    ANYWAY welcome to a new and better world of computing technology...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooohh....i want one too! but i have no money....stupid pounds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll curse the pounds for now, Ash, but wait til they start rolling in. That's when you'll curse the living expenses!

    ReplyDelete