Wednesday 13 December 2006

Token message to prove my existence continues, despite a recent bout of horrid feverish conditions, which I put down to the suddenly very cold, very bleak, very windy, and, well, very British weather. That and, potentially, some odd Moroccan food I ate at the office Christmas party on Friday.

Still, like the trooper I am, I'm back at work and back in action. Sort of. My brain still feels like it's trying to burst its way out of the front of my skull, despite the certainly-illegal amount of ibuprofen and paracetamol I've consumed. Feels like it's a million degrees in here as well, even though everyone around me is wearing no fewer than 17 layers of clothes. I think I saw the postman come in wearing one of those furry Russian hats. Could just be the ibuprofen, though.

Anyway, what can I say about this past month? Ummm, been following the Ashes, anyone? Of course you have! Everyone here will deny the sporting event is even occuring, but the BBC's commentary beautifully chronicles the nation's rapid descent into
misery (examples: "This has been completely and utterly limp by England, they're playing with all the intensity of my drunk aunt playing Cluedo at Christmas" and "If you started getting too down, just think to yourself, 'at least we didn't produce Stefan Dennis'. That always gives me a little lift."). God bless the British wit for turning even the most mundane of sports into a Python-esque farce.

Been out to a number of surprisingly odd bars and clubs. A few weeks ago, the work crew decided to mosey on down to The Jolly Gardeners, which is not far from work, for a spot of karaoke (if you must ask, Hound Dog... amongst others). The next week, we somehow wound up at the Bethnal Green Working Men's Club for a spot of cabaret. Brassy big band music, '30s-era costumes, the whole shebang! And of course the Morrocan restaurant, complete with belly dancing. There's so much more to London nightlife than improbably-named pubs!

Unsure of my Christmas plans, at present. There's a chance I'll be spending it in Germany, which would be lovely. I know that frozen water will in no way compensate for 21 years' of love and care from my family, but I'm a big kid and the prospect of a white Christmas excites me to no end! Still, I have my reservations, such as the fact that everyone will be speaking a language I'm utterly unfamiliar with (my knowledge of the German language extends to the numbers 1 through 12 (excluding 11) and how to say "out of the way", which is surprisingly handy, but could be considered unfriendly when what I really want to say is "Merry Christmas").

Suppose the big question everyone's been asked me of late is, "What's the weather like over there?". Well, I've already (begrudgingly) answered that, but you all seem to also be asking me about any potential plans to come home; presumably so that, in the event I imply I won't return for some time, you can pillage all my personal belongings. In any case, I'll provide you with a conveniently vague answer: I'm not too sure! Right now, I'm missing Tim Tams, Kurrawa Surf Life Saving Club, Powderfinger, Pacific Fair (for some reason), some of the cast of Neighbours and sunlight in general. Yet I do so love it here; the other day my flatmate practically begged me to stay (I assume she likes the brand of dishwashing detergent I buy, or something). So yes, I'll keep you on tenterhooks for the moment... hands off my stuff!

1 comment:

  1. awww but we all want stuff :P ps hurry up and watch indianna jones... i cna't believe you still have not watched them it's been years now!!!!
    hope all is well! talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete