Monday 16 January 2006

The true gravity of the situation has finally hit me. I know I've been saying this for weeks months, but, well, it's been nothing like this. It's scary, it's sad, but above all else, it's exciting... and I expected as much. The only surprise is that I am unusually calm about it all, when it should be panic stations.

A very sincere thank you to everyone for your support and guidance over the past few months, and for putting up with the occasional (alright, frequent) "What have I gotten myself into?" moment. It's been a ride of ups and downs to this point and I haven't even boarded the plane yet. I cannot say how much I have appreciated everyone's company during this time (to say the least), and, if I may indulge in a (brief, I promise) sappy moment, I'll miss you all dearly; leaving my family and friends has been the hardest part of this whole trip. If any of you happen to wind up in Europe over the next 12 months, be it on holiday or if you're just swinging by on your way to the store for some milk, I'd love to catch up!

And to my traveling buddies, who probably won't be reading this ("We were there, remember?"), here's to our adventure!

Tomorrow, we'll be boarding a plane to Singapore, where we'll be staying for four nights at the classy Plaza Parkroyal Hotel. The current plan is to strike a balance between touristy stuff and shopping, so Mum, Dad, expect a call for money before I leave for Germany.

Singapore, I'm told, is experiencing some heavy torrential rain (which, compared with our "torrential rain" requires a snorkel and flippers if you plan on going outdoors), but it's still very hot and humid. Mind you, I'll soon be clamouring for anything the slightest bit warm (I anticipate my blood-hot chocolate level to be well above the legal limit).

Can't think I've got anything left to say, other than I wish everyone the very best in their respective endeavours in 2006!

A quick word about this aptly-titled blog. I'll be updating often with photos, stories and inane anecdotes, plus there's a little comments section at the bottom where you can leave comments... obviously. Oh, and there's a link to my photo gallery on the front page, plus my email address. Keep in touch everyone!

Now, where did I leave my ticket?

9 comments:

  1. So, Germany, hum? I like that one ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great time, Matt!

    See you in London!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just wanted to say that we have been best friends for a long time and i wish you all the best for the coming year and please don't hesitate to call email and blog!!!! i want to know what the hell is hapening over there lol. and you probably won't see this till your in singapore i guess so in true milhouse form:


    p.s see you in the car :D:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I don't get to see you much anyway when you're in Aus but we always seem to have so much fun together! I really enjoy your sense of humour and I will miss that you always laugh at my stupidest jokes (coz it's usually just me laughing alone)

    Hope you (and I know you will!) have a great time in Europe! I know you'll experience many things and grow and change in amazing ways. Just hope that you will come back :P Will miss you <3 Keep in contact!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, you probably wont see this for ages, but good luck again, and have a wonderful time. :)

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Matt Mum is missing you already but she will probably get over it in about a year Hope you had a great flight to Singapore love mummsie daddy and grammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stay away from birds.

    Remember to change your socks.

    Don't get any women pregnant.

    And make sure to take cliched tourist pics of any remotely familiar landmark you come across, complete with tourist posing. You really should have stolen a garden gnome.

    Enjoy the trip. I don't have any sappy going away comments, but remember it'll be an experience haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. have a good trip mattie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Howdy all!

    Thanks for the words of encouragement. Having a wonderful time here so far!

    Hope to be able to make email contact some time in Europe (the Internet here won't let me logon to my email).

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete