Thursday 9 February 2006

G'day on this surprisingly sunny London afternoon!

Having a very enjoyable time in London, and have covered at least half the Monopoly board over the past five days. On Tuesday, we wandered along Oxford and Regent Streets (I had a hotel on Regent Street once, before I went bankrupt), which was an all-day affair; endless rows of department stores, selling everything under the fleeting London sun. Backpack restrictions, however, meant I left with nothing (not to mention our Aussie dollar equalling something approximating £0.000000001).

Yesterday we took the tube down to Leicester Square (that's in the yellow section of the Monopoly board, for those of you playing at home) and spent the afternoon at the theatre. Got some great (and fairly cheap) tickets to the stageplay of The Producers, which is even better as a stageplay than the recent movie remake. Well recommended, if you make it to London and fancy a jaunt at the theatre. A very cultured affair, even if it's a play about gay, singing Nazis that leaves no race, religion or gender unoffended ("Springtime for Hitler and Germany, Winter for Poland and France; Watch out Europe, we're going on tour").

Tomorrow, we're trekking over to the opposite side of London to check out the big tourist sites, such as London Bridge, Big Ben and MI6.

Not a great deal else to report; definitely off to Edinburgh on Sunday. Soon after that, we'll be looking for somewhere to rent and settle down for a few months, find some work and fit in some sightseeing during our spare time.

Just passed the three-week mark for this trip (in some ways it feels like I haven't even left yet, and in others, like I've been gone an eternity). In any case, I'm enjoying myself a great deal, even if I'm very much missing you all at home.

I'll report back soon!

9 comments:

  1. Hahaha.

    Matt, it seems you have a park ranger pal.


    tbh, I'd be far more impressed if you actually stayed in a hotel on one of these monopoly streets. Now that would be a good story to tell.

    I didn't see the producers, everyone keeps telling me the movie version is rather crap. I'd love to see the stageshow though.

    Everyone should see 'Walk the Line'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha attracting park rangers are you now??? I love the monopoly references, there are a lot of London, England streets in our London, i shall investigate the Monopoly references here as well. you have intrigued me! Let us know how your settling down in Edinburgh is going.
    Trudy

    ReplyDelete
  3. howdy from LONDON!!!!! ontario that is haha that joke will never be old... especially when they have street names form london uk that is like piccadilly street haha. good to see your having fun and u can always ship stuff home!!! Casey just bought a roomba a vaccum cleaner it's a robot one and it cleans are floors lol very cool!!!! very cyborgian haha. i dunno what the deal is with the park ranger very random and funny looks like ur making friends :P:P:P
    talk soon!
    Bodie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy partner!

    Your entry makes me wanna play monopoly...

    Sounds like you're having a whole heap of fun over there Matty! Best of luck with settling down. Hope you really love the place (despite the weather difference :p).

    Yeah, "The Producers" I didnt think was that great on screen. Would probably be diff to seeing it at the theaters. They're showing Fiddler on the Roof here - I wanna go see it. Oh I finally saw Brokeback Mtn yesterday... I was so depressed afterwards!!!! :s Jake and Heath were hot though..

    How's it going with that weight gain thing? Hehehe. Probably not as good as it was in Singapore? :p

    Love ya!!! Missing you!

    P.S. I'm going to see Kanye West at Southbank Convention Centre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wheeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh it actually worked! Hey Matt, guess who...Anonymous! That's right, your old pal anonymous - since when do you have a blog...or...was I not meant to know about it (haha!) How's it going hun (yeah, it's Nett, I don't like the name anonymous...too many syllables). Sounds like your having an adventure already (didnt we all tell you you would?) how AWESOME! I'm glad your having a great time so far, the blog looks fab! Man, I have no goss but I shall definitely write when I have some. All the best Mattykins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi people
    I do not know what to give for Christmas of the to friends, advise something ....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello. Good day
    Who listens to what music?
    I Love songs Justin Timberlake and Paris Hilton

    ReplyDelete
  8. How do you do !
    - www.blogger.com s
    phentermine

    ReplyDelete