Sunday 18 November 2007

#35 Complete 10 random acts of kindness

Status: 1/10

I was standing in the bookshop at Robina Town Centre last week, flipping through the pages of a Charles Dickens novel, or something similarly highbrow, when the lady standing beside me asked if I could do her a favour.

I gladly obliged and she asked if I could retrieve for her a copy of May Gibbs' Snugglepot And Cuddlepie from the top shelf. Craning my neck skywards, I attempted to locate the book in question. Squinting, I could just make out the hardback book, perched delicately on the very top shelf. It was at least twenty feet off the ground. I looked back at her and she smiled. I couldn't say no.

I clambered uneasily onto the bottom shelf and began to climb row upon row of books. After foolishly using one of the early Harry Potter novels as a foothold (as opposed to a much more stable later instalment), I slipped. Clinging desperately to The Dangerous Book For Boys, I dangled precariously 15 feet off the ground. The circulation from the ducted air conditioning was, at this altitude, unbearable. Through the hair whipping coldly in my eyes, I spied the lady way down below me with a look of pure admiration on her face. I grimaced, and with sheer determination, swung back in toward the shelf and, crashing into a row of yellowing Goosebumps books, made my way to the summit.

Once there, I carefully reached out, slid the book off the shelf and placed it under my arm. With my spare hand, I reached up and yanked an electricity cable that was connected to a security camera and tied it around my waist. Gently, I abseiled my way to safety and handed over the classic children's picture book to a very grateful customer.

Mission accomplished.

As a caveat, you may notice some of this tale is embellished. To clear the air, I was reading Jeremy Clarkson, not Dickens.

7 comments:

  1. Come to think, I've got a pickle jar I can't reach....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing you'll also need it opened.

    (Furthermore, I'm willing to guess you'll next reply saying I'm incapable of doing so.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure my big strong man can open it! I just think that it wouldn't be a 'random' act of kindness for you to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah woah woah.....wait a minute....I never noticed "skydive" before. Really? You?

    Well, I am not going with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. all i can do is laugh....
    you're a funny bugger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. see with this taks ur random acts of kindness and in the back of ur mind forced in order to complete the task sort of a loop hole haha.

    But well done :P

    ReplyDelete