Saturday 1 April 2006

It's funny how life works out.

Two and a half months ago, I was your typical Australian student. Now, I'm responding to Prime Minister Tony Blair's mail. Yup.

(Although, in fairness, two and a half months ago I was actually frantically packing my bags for this trip.)

As part of my new job (which is going well, thanks for asking), I have to respond to a portion of mail addressed to Mr Blair, concerning issues of animal health and welfare (as well as mail addressed to numerous other ministers and Lords). Very strange!

The work isn't too dissimilar to what I was doing at home, which is a plus, even if, after less than two months in the UK, I'm not yet familiar with the subject matter. There are some permanant roles coming up for grabs soon, so with any luck, I'll nab one of those and be on the big bucks.

Incidentally, for those of you wondering, today's selection of pics are from our lunchtime trip to Austria. More on those later.

But yes, back to work. As I said last week, I'm working for Defra's Central Communications Unit (although from Monday, it's the Customer Correspondence Unit, or some such thing). The unit goes "live" on Monday, so I expect the already-hectic workload to pick up further. Specifically, I'm working in the Animal Health and Welfare division, so I get to read and respond to all sorts of mail from tail docking, the culling of badgers and avian influenza to fish dyeing (not dying - dyeing).

Anyhoo, on with the photos.

(1) The restaurant where we had lunch in Austria. Very nice pasta dishes. Try it, if you're ever in the area!

(2) The restaurant's interior. It's got such a great atmosphere, with modern interior design but antique furniture. Très classy!

(3) The view from the restaurant. During summer, it's a park area where people take their dogs and sit on the benches, and such. There's a deer farm just behind it.

(4 & 5) Shaking one of these trees as you walk by with someone following you never ceases to amuse me.

(6) A gorgeous still lake... wish I could say more.

(7) Oh yes, it has swans.

(8) Not from Austria, but Vera and I outside Edinburgh castle.

I'll report back soon - with more photos!

3 comments:

  1. forgive my blindness but have you given your address on here in london or can you email it to me so i have it cause you know in a few weeks there is some sort of birthday to some guy.. whats his name... and yeah i need the address so that something possible mail of some sort arrives there :P:P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice pics once again, Matt, but after some warmer air is finally arriving here in Germany these pics made me freeze once again. Now, bring on summer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bloody hell, what a journey you have already had!

    Good job!

    -Nick S

    ReplyDelete