Friday 28 September 2007

#21 Get a new job

Status: Square one

There are some criteria one ought to be wary of when accepting a job. For your future reference, and mine, I have listed these below:

  • Your boss is unaware of what day it is when you phone him
  • Your shifts are so long that your fingers actually hurt from using a touchscreen register
  • People go to bed and wake up in the time you're still at work
  • A crowbar is encouraged to be used both as a tool and a weapon
  • You work with highly explosive substances, but are not told how to handle so much as a minor spillage - unless it involves the Slurpee machine (particularly embarrassing when store inspectors visit on your third shift)
  • It's in your job description to throw out slightly-less-than-fresh donuts; seriously, it's heartbreaking
  • You work hours during which it's impossible to have reasons not to work ("I have a doctor's appointment ... at 3am")
  • Your boss wears a wifebeater
That's right - I quit 7-Eleven.

2 comments:

  1. I could check off most of those with my cushy office part-timer. My boss never knows the day, and in particular the time as she'll come to talk to me at 3:59, I'd consider many of my coworkers to be "highly explosive", and we just eat the stale donuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sympathy has been noted, Brady!

    ReplyDelete